· The Jenny Investment Club was founded sometime around 1955 by Hans H. Jenny and other members of the Economics Department. One of the first investment clubs anywhere, it was called the Wooster Student Aid Fund (WSAF) and was organized as an Ohio not-for-profit corporation separate from, but affiliated with The College of Wooster.
· The initial funding for the portfolio, about $800, was supplied by “Chapel Fines” paid by students who missed more than the permitted number of (required) chapel meetings. The Fund’s two functions were to help students and other members of the College community learn about investments and to provide scholarship funds for international students.
· In 1981, Hans Jenny, member of the Economics Department, Vice President for Finance, and long-time advisor to the WSAF retires. WSAF Trustees draft a constitution and formally recognize that the funds are part of the College’s endowment. In return, the College’s Board of Trustees recognize the group as the managers of the funds. The value of the WSAF portfolio was approximately $70,000 at that time.
· In 1982, WSAF is re-named, the Jenny Student Aid Fund (JSAF) to honor Hans Jenny’s participation with the group for over twenty-five years.
· By 1996, the value of the “Main” portfolio had grown to approximately $250,000 including approximately $20,000 in gifts from alumni and former members of the group. In this year, the College received a $50,000 gift from Oak Associates of Akron that became part of the Jenny Student Aid Fund’s assets. This formed the “Oak” portfolio that is tracked separately and competes with other schools.
In 1999, the name of the group was changed to,
“Jenny Investment Club” (JIC) which members believed better reflects
the activities of the group.
April 2002. In recognition of the professional management skills displayed by JIC members, the College's Board of Trustees award the JIC an additional $500,000 to invest as a third (separate) portfolio.
Hans H. Jenny Investment Club